News: Winter and Spring 2013
- I am pleased to announce the publication of my book, Withdrawn, by Aglu, a Scottish publishing house dedicated to the creation of affordable, pocke-sized photography books. For the past two years, I have been photographing books from schools, churches, city and county public systems and universities that were officially discarded. Withdrawn is an elegy for the decline of the traditional book with its tactile pleasures. Withdrawn and other Aglu titles are available only at http://www.aglu.co.uk/. The Aglu site features a book preview and information on the cost (£5 or $7.50) plus shipping.
- Super Massive Black Hole has included several of the Withdrawn images in the cuurrent issue (#12) on appropriation www.smbhmag.com.
- The George Eastman House in Rochester, NY, has accepted 9 images from the Withdrawn series into their permanent collection.
- CNN Photo Blog is featuring a portion of the Withdrawn series on their website.cnnphotos.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/31/discarded-library-books/
- My image, Herbert Bates's Feast of July, will travel with the Center Forward exhibition to the Denver International Airport and RayKo Photo Center in San Francisco later this year.
- The New Yorker's Photo Booth blog published an image from Withdrawn here:www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/photobooth/2.html#slide_ss_0=1
- Hotshoe International magazine, based in London, published an article on my series Withdrawn in the October November issue. The piece is available here: www.hotshoeinternational.com/home.do
- My image, Pruned, 2008, will be part of a projected exhibition at The Rhode Island School of Design Museum entitled Looking at the Land - 21st Century American Views from September 21st - January 13, 2013, in Providence. The exhibition was organized by Andy Adams from Flak Photo. risdmuseum.org/exhibition.aspx
- Some of my poems and essay fragments will be a part of Groundstory: Tales from the Shade of the South at Agnes Scott College, September 28- November 17th. daltongallery.agnesscott.edu/
- Davis Orton Gallery in Hudson, New York will display the Withdrawn series as the Portfolio Showcase with Terri Garland from September 7th to October 7th. davisortongallery.com/
- One One Thousand is featuring myself (Smoke Break series) as the Featured Photographer, along with Richard Lou, for the month of August. oneonethousand.org/photography/noel/
- The Enchanted Forest of Books, an installation created from recycled library books funded by an Atlanta Beltline grant, will be displayed in the Kirkwood section of the trail from September 8th through the end of November.
- A selection from Cuban Playgrounds appears in the Latin America issue group show at F-Stop Magazine. www.fstopmagazine.com/groupexhibition.html
- Spring Dream #1 and #5 will be included in the Slow Exposures Main Exhibition, while Wall/Portrait, 2005, will be in the Ten Year Retrospective exhibition. Slow Exposures takes place the last two weekends in September.slowexposures.org/Schedule_of_Events.html
News: Spring 2012
- I now have PayPal. Click the more information>purchase option tabs next to any picture or book on this site to order.
- A selection of nine photographs from my series, Paper, is featured in the inaugural print issue of South X Southeast Photo Magazine, available through MagCloud.
- My picture, Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird will be published in the exhibition catalog, Art Takes Miami.
- The indie Photobook Library has selected Law and Order Gets Me Through the Night as one of the top ten indie or self published books of 2011. Thanks to Larissa Leclair for chosing my work. Please visit the following link to see the entire list www.larissaleclair.com/photography/2011/12/20/the-best-books-2011-self-published-indie-published/. The books can be purchased here on my website.
- 03.Noel.03 will be released by Fall Line Press on December 15th. A few copies remain of the first two issues. See www.falllinepress.com to order or visiti the Fall Line Reading Room inside the Jennifer Scwartz Gallery at 1000 Marietta Street, Atlanta.
- I will be giving a mini-artist talk at MOCA GA with 5 other photographers as part of the exhibition, Brett Abbott Selects on November, 20th, at 7:00 PM.
- Come visit me on Saturday, September 22, 2011, at the Atlanta Celebrates Photography Photobook Fair at the Piedmont Park Community Center from 9 AM until 1:00 PM. I will be selling and showing book projects old and new, including Law and Order Gets Me Through the Night, Paper, The Playgrounds of Cuba and several other titles.
- Bill Boling, publisher of Fall Line, and I will be special guest panelists at Mary Virginia Swanson's presentation "To be Published or Self-published?" Wednesday, October 5th at 6:30 PM at the Portfolio Center in Atlanta.
- Fall Line's Free Fall 02.Noel.02 was issued on September 22. A few subscriptions and copies of both volumes are still available at falllinepress.com/project/01noel01/. Each copy is signed and numbered.
- Fall Line Press inaugurated their series of limited edition, quarterly magazines with Free Fall 01.Noel.01 in June. Fall Line Press publishes Free Fall as a quarterly, with four sequential issues from each artist. Free Fall is published in a signed, limited-edition of fifty, whose intent is to offer a publication space that allows artists and photographers a specific kind of freedom, one that embraces the benefits of collaboration coupled with the tactile experience of analog books.falllinepress.com/project/01noel01/
- Subject Matters: New Work by Laura Noel opens Thursday, September 15th at The Spruill Gallery as part of Atlanta Celebrates Photography. I am collecting to-do lists until Sept. 1st for an installation that accompanies the photographs. The exhibition closes October 30, 2011.
- Amy, 2005 is on display at Soho Photo in New York through August 6th.